Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Open Thread – Tuesday 12/8/2009

Yesterday I installed Windows 7.  It is not compatible with Zone Alarm Firewall, so I had to uninstall that first.  The process took about three hours.  When it was done, I had to find a new email client, because it does not support Windows mail.  So I transferred to Windows Live Mail.  It handled importing my accounts, contacts, calendar and folders seamlessly.  Then I had to upgrade several drivers, and set up several internal functions.  Needless to say, I got little else done.  If you plan a Windows 7 upgrade, you might want to talk to me first.  I’ll be scarce for most of this week.  Today, I have an appointment that will take most of the day.  To morrow is my volunteer day with the therapy group.  Thursday I have a doctor’s appointment to get half a dozen referrals.  Friday is grocery day.  Please bear with me.

Today’s Jig Zone puzzle took me 4:59.  To do it, Click Here.  How did you do?

Here’s your cartoon:

Enjoy the day.

6 comments:

rjs said...

yikes! im expecting windows 7 in the mail any day now; it was shipped last week; i dont need a day of hassles, so i will definitely be talking to you about it before i go ahead...

Lisa G. said...

I got a new computer early for Christmas from my wonderful husband with Windows 7 already on it, so I don't have to go through that hell. Once again, why I keep him around. He's also good with tall shit (I'm 5'2") and heavy shit (he lifts 50lb bags of sand 3 at a time) and he can fix anything without throwing tools and swearing. My kids would always say to each other "Mom's in the garage putting something together - DO NOT go in there!!!" Patience is a virtue, just not one of mine.

Lisa G. said...

TC - you should add these women to your blogroll:

http://margaretandhelen.wordpress.com/

They are two grandmas in their 80's and they are a laugh riot. Right now, Helen is reviewing Scarah Palin's book (she did Ann Coutler's a while back). They are pee your pants funny. And they have a ton of followers. Just a thought. Chapter 1 is just up!

rjs said...

ive seen margaret and helen's posts a few times and agree with Lisa, they are funny...

Cellophane Queen said...

I had problems with ZoneAlarm as a firewall. A lot of vituperative emails back and forth with no resolution other than me deinstalling it. I just go with the Windows Firewall, backed up with a purchased version of AVG. Run SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot alternately every night.

Hubs has Vista, but I'll avoid any upgrades of Windows until my puny little laptop croaks. Backup backup backup.

TomCat said...

RJ, if you email me you phone number, I can call you this weekend about it.

Lisa, I can handle the computer stuff just fine, but I'm useless with a tool box. He sound's like a prized catch. I visited their blog, commented, and added them, dropping your name while there.

Marva, unless you're a geek like me, there's no reason to upgrade from XP unless you have a specific feature you need that it does not have. My computer was manufactured for Windows 7, and the upgrade was included in the price of the computer.