Tuesday, December 22, 2009

LIEberman Surprised Harkin

Progressives have vented considerable ire, based on this claim.

asshole_Lieberman Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) said on MSNBC he was surprised that Sen. Joe Lieberman told reporters the White House didn't pressure him to support a public option.

Harkin, a progressive who wanted to see a public option in the health care bill, said he'd "assumed" that President Obama would have been pushing Lieberman (I-CT) at all costs since that's what Senate Democrats ultimately compromised on to secure Lieberman's vote.

"I'm really surprised at that. I would have thought that President Obama, I know he met a number of times with Sen. Lieberman, and Sen. Nelson and others," Harkin said. "I assumed that they were pushing hard for the public option. ... The senator said 'No' under any circumstance and that's why we had to do the compromise."

Lieberman told Huffington Post his negotiations on the public option were with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

From their story:

"Well, no. I think I got pressure from the president to be for health care reform," Lieberman said when asked by HuffPost about any pressure from the administration to support either the public option or the Medicare buy-in. "I'd have to think about this, but I didn't really have direct input from the White House on this."...

Inserted from <TPM>

Now, I’m not saying that it didn’t come down just the way Traitor Joe said it did.  Asking him to support the public option would be no more likely to achieve results than presenting the request directly to Aetna’s CEO.  However, Traitor Joe is leaving himself and out by saying he have to think about it.  Furthermore, my momma had a special word for anyone who bases anything on what a serial lair says: fool.

6 comments:

the walking man said...

See what I am having a hard time figuring out is just how much did this whore sell himself for. Yesterday when the republicans had the floor the mentioned "a Senator from CT secured a 100,000,000" hospital"

I loved watching this ass give his debate speech on why he now supported the bill, the only thing that I was stunned by was Kerry not shutting the hell up so ol' joe could have had even more time.

It was funny as hell when in ending but not having completed his remarks he reminded the chair of his previous rebuke from Franken when asking for a"moment...no two more moments to finish."

TomCat said...

Mark, what LIEberman got was less for himself than for his GOP cronies and his Aetna paymaster. He got the public option and the Medicare buy-in stripped from the bill.

Joe "Truth 101" Kelly said...

It is difficult holding ones tongue at this bill. Unfortunately the crap pie has been baked and now we'll have to nibble on it until something better comes along.

TomCat said...

Truth, I think it's only completely done in the Senate. I think the House will follow along, but I could be wrong. I'll have a better idea when I learn who Nancy Pelosi appoints to the conference committee early next year.

Lisa G. said...

He lied. I'm sure Obama tried to convince both him and Nelson. They held out for their hostage money and got it. I say no funding for either of these assholes from the DNC or anyone else. Threats is what the Repubs use and it's much more effective.

TomCat said...

Lisa, I agree on Nelson. LIEberman should be thrown out of the caucus and stropped of the Homeland Security chair.